The Australian GP: Kimi's back! And so is F1!

I haven't watched F1 in a long time because, in my mind, if you've seen one lap you've seen them all. It's basically as boring as it gets in motor-sports. Two hours of varying picture-angles of F1-cars moving forward in a neat line. No action, whatsoever. It's like staring at a clock-arm progress while listening to a concert of amplified sewing machines, except even that mental image is too vivid to describe an F1-race. It's a thing that's just unbeatable at making your ADHD blossom.

Yesterday though it was time again. Time to fulfill my duties as a Finnish male. Kimi's back and as an honorable Finnish male, I'm obliged to watch. And so I sat down on the couch expecting a dull Sunday-afternoon fulfilling my duties...

Picture by Diego Azubel


The race began, and boy was I surprised when I didn't find myself reciting the numbers of pi or making Star Trek door-noises just to keep entertained. I have to say the race was really interesting, even 
to such extent that actually for the first time in my life I watched an entire F1-race without dozing off!

I may risk sounding just a bit biased when I say this, but I think the best action was orchestrated, not in the lead,
but a bit further back.
To hell with Button and Vettel, the real winners of this race were Räikkönen and Perez, who both did some
proper dragon-slaying on the track. Perez gaining a massive 14 places finishing eighth, which is close to 
god-like. But even though Perez gaining proportionally more places I still have to conclude that Kimi out-did 
him just a little bit. 

Kimi did an amazing job un-messing up the mess-up he and he's team made in the qualifiers. 
Gaining ten places in the race and finishing seventh AND overtaking Perez in the last corner! That just did it 
for me, the hero of the race. Period. What a spectacular comeback and what a great show for the viewers!

I think I'm actually going to watch the rest of the season. Voluntarily. That's a lot said!



-HS


How do you feel about the new F1-season? Thoughts and comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment