The BMW 116i on ze German autobahn


INTRODUCTION (skip this if you just want to hear about the car)


Yes, as the title suggests you're going to hear some thoughts on the little shoe-box called the 116i. Now get ready kids, grandpa is going to tell you a little story...


A few months ago I was offered an opportunity to go for a week-long trip to Austria, and because there was some driving on the autobahn and the magnificent Austrian mountain-roads involved I was more than happy to attend. The only let-down was that the car we'd be driving was one from the small cars' class (according to the rental-car company an Audi A3 1.2 TFSI or similar). So not a very enthusiastic ride to expect then. Kind of frustrating given the opportunity of having a go at the best driving-roads on earth, only it'd be in a sack of slow-moving crap. Well what could you do...

The flight was scheduled to arrive in Munich at noon, and so it did. Having done some paperwork at the rental-desk we got the key. There was BMW written on it. Wierd. I thaught we'd rented a small car...

As the key already promised, in the car-park we were in for a plesant surprise. Namely the key unlocked the doors for a pristine white 2011 BMW 1-series, I completely forgot those even existed! Still as unfamiliar as it was, I carefully dared hope for some proper driving after all! As said, the car was a brand new BMW 1-series, more specifically the baby 1-series, 116i with the 1.6 liter twinturbo engine and the 6-speed manual, and most importantly; rear wheel drive!

That face-lifted rear is so ugly it makes me want to cry


THE CAR


INSIDES

Having gotten over the initial yay-moment we moved on to actually loading the car with our baggage. It turned out to be quite complicated. It wasn't really hatchback-practical as you'd expect from a hatchback, this. It seems Bayerische Motoren Werke never really intended this car to carry any sort of anything. But practicality wasn't a priority as far as I was concerned, so no worries.

Now finally everything was set for the main event. The actual driving. As I had never driven a BMW before I was pretty excited, I didn't really know what to expect.

The first thing that struck me when I sat in was the hugely racy driving-position for such a daily driver. At first it feels as if the seat just caves in under you when you sit down, it takes some getting used to to sit so low in the car. Not even my 205 GTi feels this "racy" to sit in. The funky driving-position (which I actually quite grew to like after a while) aside, the seats were very good for casual driving. Just tight enough to keep you in your seat at a bit friskier cornering-speeds and just casual enough to be perfectly comfortable during longer trips.

The rest of the interior-design can be described with one adjective, German. Meaning nothing to complain about really. Every button and dial feels crisp and there is quality written all over the interior in a monotonous German kind of way. BMW-style. One thing I especially liked though was the steering-wheel. Just gripping it gave me this warm cozy feeling inside, it really was that good. This far probably the best steering-wheel I've come across!




THE ACTUAL DRIVING

Okay, boring bits are covered. Now on to the important stuff. Getting the engine going was quite a hassle, to the point where me and the co-driver almost got into a slight fist-brawl due to differing views on how to get the damn thing moving. This was actually my first experience with key-less ignition, and it took a decent amount of time for this cave-man to figure it out. It turns out, that to start the car, you merely have to press the clutch-pedal and push the start-button. And at the time being, neither of us could figure out the part about the clutch-pedal.

So after roughly 20 minutes and big sweat-stains under my armpits reminding me of the painful starting-process we got the car going. It's amazing how silent the car runs. I actually had to check the rev-counter twice to confirm it was running at all. And consequentially, off we went.

It doesn't take long to notice this car is quite a pleasant driver. We had approximately a 300km drive to our destination in Austria, and the BMW was eating the kilometers eagerly on the Autobahn. It's quite impressive how stable this car felt even at speeds closing 200kph, only down-side though was the power, or the lack of it more specifically. It accelerates quite adequately for the daily drive to buy some milk, but the more demanding driver will certainly experience frequent moments of banging the steering-wheel in desperation while simultaneously shouting "COME ON, YOU STUPID CAR, GO SOMEWHERE!!!!". I certainly had a few of those moments myself.
Power aside, the engine is actually quite good. The twin-turbo engine makes for a constant torque all the way through the revs. There is no mentionable peak, it just torques like a lawnmower. The sound of the inline-four is a bit dreary though, but that can be forgiven because then again this car never was designed for the high-revving enthusiasts.

Now on to handling. What the 116i lacks in power it makes up for in the way it handles, and boy does it handle (for a daily driver)! I'm going to give this car the best compliment on steering I've given in a long time; I actually don't completely hate it. Even though it's got power-steering (as every other modern car) the feel is not totally ruined. In fact, it's quite nicely weighted and makes for a very joy-filled run through the mountain-roads, and the fact that it's rear wheel drive just adds that little extra fun-factor.

In normal mode I found it quite impossible to get the tail out but after having acquainted myself with the iDrive system (which was quite complex, given I don't speak German all that well) and explored it's many features I found something useful: the Sport+ mode. Or more precisely named, the tail-out mode. Especially in the snow. And oh' boy was it fun! The eaze in the way it drifts is something completely else, it never surprises, it never attacks, just soars smoothly sideways. In this car, no matter how hard you try, you're never going to get that feeling of the car trying to decapitate you if you poke it with a stick. I almost felt ashamed of drifting about in this car. Felt like I was committing sin, to describe this hear me out; Seeing somebody drift this mundane little shoe on wheels is like watching a responsible single mother of two who goes to church every Sunday suddenly make an appearance on girls gone wild. It's a pretty wild contrast, and quite awkward, but so very very entertaining! Your mind is feverishly trying to process the mental conflict.
But still the car manages it with flying colors, fun-factor established. Not bad for a car that looks like one of those orthopedic shoes!



See the resemblance?



And the handling doesn't stop impressing when going front-end first either. This car corners effortlessly making for a rewarding drive when pushed just a teeny bit, though I would imagine when driving on the limit the feel goes a bit soft and under-steery. So this then really is a car you want to be behind the wheel in, not just because it's hidious on the outside and being inside will spare your eyeballs from bursting, but because of the sheer pleasure of driving it! It really is fun on a completely different level than any other similar cars, and I reckon if you've bought one of these instead of a Golf or KIA etc. you deserve a pat on the back!

This is a seriously good alternative for FWD hatchbacks, and if I was a young father right now I know I'd certainly get one, though one with a bigger engine of course.

Really good car, this! Looks are forgiven.



P.S. sorry for the crappy googled up pictures, my camera died early into the trip so I didn't manage any good pictures. I will redeem myself in the future!


AFTERTHOUGHTS

I risk being seen as Italy in WWII by saying this after years of proclaiming my undying hate for BMW's but I must get it out of my system. So here goes: that short trip made me a believer. A believer in the mighty three letters: BMW. I want one. I want one now! I seriously thought i'd never say this, especially on the internet, but BMW's are genuinely desirable cars, and that trip made me realize it! Only one phrase must be remembered when dealing with'em. Looks are forgiven. Exept for the E30, no forgiving to be done there allright! I think I'm going to sell one of my kidneys and get one. Expect a review on that soon!

Ain't prejudíce a bitch!


-HS




Comments and critique more than welcome!

2 comments:

  1. bullshits the car is amazing one of the most good looking cars out there. Do you prefer golf or astra?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, taste is not a matter of debate... That said though, the car's absolutely hideous! :D I'd hate to wake up to the sight of it in my driveway every morning. But THAT said, I actually prefer the BMW over any other family hatch, just because it's so bloody fun to drive!

      So, to conclude, I am an absolute fan of the 1-series, apparently we both are, and that, in my mind, shows how brilliant the car really is. You can pull off the trick of hating it and still absolutely loving it at the same time, as I've proven. That's how good it is.

      Delete